Publius Pundit is doing an exceptional job of following the events in Lebanon. How can one not be encouraged by the resignation of the Syrian backed Lebanese government?
"Freedom is on the March" in the Middle East. We are seeing a domino effect because of the US led invasion and liberation of Iraq. To date, the benefits are:
- An emerging Iraqi democracy, free elections, and the building of a constitution
- Libya declaring its nuclear weapons program and dismantling it, providing the US and Britain with a detailed view of the international black market for nuclear weapons material from Pakistan, Iran and North Korea
- Palestinian elections and a move towards a negotiated peace with Israel
- The potential for elections in Egypt
- The rejection of Syrian involvement in Lebanon by the people and a desire for true democratic reform
I think 2005 and 2006 will be years of major progress towards democratic reform in the Middle East. The countries of the Middle East do not operate in a vacuum, and people who are not free to say, think or practice their religion will become more vocal as they see freedom extended in Iraq and Afghanistan. I am optimistic about the future of the Middle East. (I know, a risky opinion to voice). I am an Idealist working within a Realism framework. These are truly exciting times.