Dawn's Early Light reader Larwynn, a Catholic, was the first to email me the news and summed it up very well "The Pope has died, many millions are happy that he had lived."
The world's Catholics will mourn his passing with very good reason. I imagine that a good number of the world's protestants will feel the same way. I know I do.
My first thoughts regarding what Pope John Paul meant to the world and just a small portion of what his legacy will be:
- He was a strong defender of the Bible, especially when its words are not convenient or easy to hear.
- He was a strong promoter of bridging old religious divides, with other churches, synagogues and mosques the world over.
- He deeply deeply cared for the world's poor and least well represented, traveling like no other Pontiff to care for those less fortunate.
- He supported the church and democracy in Eastern Europe and the former Soviet empire.
- He promoted a consistent "culture of life"
While the Catholic Church like any other institution of humankind is not prone from scandal and conflict, the Pope was a great man with tremendous influence around the world.
He will be missed. May he rest in the truly awesome hands of his Maker and Creator. May the Spirit of God be with those he leaves behind. May the road that Christ walked humbly, be the road we follow along.
Dawn's Early Light invites your comments and reflections on Pope John Paul II. (Non-civil comments will be deleted.)
Additionally, bloggers, please feel free to email me with links to your thoughts on this Pope and I will update this post accordingly.
Update: MSM Obituaries
- US News - Washington Post
- New York Times - also here with a well done Audio/Visual Frank Bruni Commentary
- Los Angeles Times
- Atlanta Journal Constitution
- ABC News
- CBS News
- MSNBC News
- Fox News
- CNN News
- New York Post
- Real Clear Politics
- INTERNATIONAL BBC News - UK
- The Economist - UK
- Voice of America - US (International)
- Asia Times (no coverage as of 1:20PM PST) - China
- Sydney Morning Herald - Australia
- The Age - Australia
- CBC News - Canada
- Der Spiegel - Germany (in German)
- Le Monde - France (in French)
- Jerusalem Post - Israel
- Swiss Info - Switzerland
- Al-Jazeera - Qatar
- Mark D. Roberts - a truly excellent tribute
- Hugh Hewitt
- Glenn Reynolds
- Okie on the Lam
- Cheat Seeking Missiles - Nice reflection
- Holy Coast - and another great post here
- Standing in the Trenches
- The Corner Hat Tip: (Hugh Hewitt)
- Maternal Optimist Hat Tip: (Hugh Hewitt)
- The Fez Hat Tip: (Hugh Hewitt)
- The Anchoress Hat Tip: (Hugh Hewitt)
- GalleySlaves Hat Tip: (Hugh Hewitt)
- QuillNews - "Do Not be Afraid"
- Stacy Harp of Media Soul
- Mark Shea
- Pattrick Ruffini
- Publius Pundit
- Captain's Quarters
- Light Seeking Light
- Little Red Blog - Touching tribute
- Insane Troll Logic
- Chrenkoff (hat tip: Blogotional)